Sunday, January 8, 2012

NEW YEAR, OLD EXPECTATIONS

It's a new year and I'm already published. Well, if you consider a letter to the editor a publishing credit. I was having fun over Christmas and decided to write one. I like to add my two cents every once and a while. Makes life interesting.

In addition, I have sent off another picture book (why do I keep doing this to myself) manuscript for consideration by one of the few publishing houses that take unsolicited manuscripts. I debated about this one for months because it is narrow in its appeal. It's a 100 days of school book. One of my friends said there are two many out there...that's what stopped me at first.

Then my critique group applauded it and said send it. Still didn't -- until my friend, the "school librarian," read it and loved it. She said she is always looking for new "100 days of school" books.

I combed the publisher's website to see if it would be a good fit...and it looks like it!!! So...since my theory is..."If you don't send it, it's already rejected - BY ME!" I sent it.

With a little bit of luck...maybe, just maybe...I have to wait three months. If I don't hear from them, it's a no go.  I like that.

Now I am working on an adult piece that I am going to enter into a contest. I've won three contests so far...we will see what happens to this one. It was so fun to write...blood and guts and mystery. How cool is that.

Here's to a new year...hope...promise...and perhaps a book contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment