Monday, January 30, 2012

Why do I do this to myself? I've gotten another idea for the dreaded picture book. For me, these are the hardest to write and definitely the most difficult to sell.

For ten years I've been writing editorials, politicians, and anyone who can help me "right a wrong" on the demise of recess for the young children in my area. I have all the research on my side ... both medical and educational. With each letter I write, I ask my "opponents" to show me their research.  I have never received any. You know why? THERE ISN'T ANY.

So I am struggling with a picture book about a town that has outlawed play. Of course, I can't come up with a beginning -- the hook. I've gotten the middle started and know how it will end, but Lordy -- why is there always one challenge that hinders my work?

I guess by struggling it will make me a better writer. No pain, no gain -- and all that stuff. Geez, you would think once...just once, my muse would give me a break.

The story begins with a boy moving to a new town and discovering that he is not allowed to play. How can I make that sound exciting.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic idea for a picture book. It would have to be set in the future. Something that might help is Kurt Vonnegut's short story, "Harrison Bergeron". It would take you five minutes to read here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story -- thanks for sending it, Chris. And I like your idea to set my book in the future. I hope I can do it and finish it before it all happens.

    ReplyDelete