Monday, August 27, 2012

NEVER

I learned something Saturday. NEVER go to your critique group when you have an average story and you are sick.

I'm trying to write a story for Highlights. I thought I had a good start and needed some direction. What I didn't expect was to get my story trashed.

The last time something like that happened I couldn't write for six months. I berated myself and wondered why I ever jumped into this profession. This time it lasted only 24 hours. WHEW!!

My story, TURTLE TRACKS, is the type that Highlights publishes. It's what my muse is pushing me towards. And, my critique group nudged me a bit further. So, this morning I opened up Word and started all over again. I may NEVER be able to get this one right, but at least I'm going to try.

Will I take it back to the critique group? I have to if I want it perfect. If they trash it again, I will have a heart-to-heart with my muse and see if she can point me in another direction.

BTW: Survived my first non-hurricane by myself. This will be my fourth one since moving to Florida. Just a bit of rain and a lot of wind. My problem now is how to get this huge aloe plant back on my balcony. It started, like my stories, as a little pup and is now a grown into the biggest plant EVER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment