Wednesday, April 11, 2012

TO WRITE OR NOT TO WRITE -- THAT IS THE DILEMMA

I'm going deep, emotional and exploring places in my heart that should probably be left alone.

I have an idea for a gritty adult book, encouraged by my daughter (and writing partner), to write about our struggle with a drug addicted family member.

I took this idea to my critique group yesterday. They listened to the first draft of one chapter -- it was painful to read, painful to hear...

One of the members of my group is a psychologist. She questioned me as to the reason I want to write this. She told me to think long and hard before going back into the past and dredge up these tragic times.

This is my plan -- I have saved all my relatives letters from rehab/jail/prison. I will write a reflection/memory on one of these...my daughter will write her reflection/memory on the same letter and then the chapter will end with the letter from the addict.

Why am I doing this? My main objective is to help others see that one can find serenity in the midst of a sad situation. To travel through this experience and come out the other end whole.

Will it be painful looking back -- you bet! Do I want to view the past -- not really. But if any good can come of it ... I need to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment