Friday, December 3, 2010

GETTING INVOLVED

As if I don't have enough on my plate at the moment, I just put in an application to be on a subcommittee for my local School Board. I won't get it, but it's fun to let them know I'm still around.

You see, as a former classroom teacher, I know what is important to the children and teachers in my community. The school board unfortunately listens to administrators that haven't been in a classroom in years, if ever. And that's where things get dicey.

People want to know what's wrong with education. It's this: Teachers, the ones closest to the children, are told what to teach, how to teach and when to teach it by administrator who never taught it. (Wow, now that is a confusing sentence - but true). Even if it goes against good practices, teachers are not allowed to do what they know is best for children.

I"m not afraid to express my opinions - and that can make me -- well, a bit unpopular.  That is the reason I won't get chosen for the school system's subcommittee. I have written articles for my local newspaper regarding educational issues. The school board and adminstrators know who I am and where I live. And they don't like what I have to say.

I always remember to: Say what I mean, mean what I say, but don't say it mean. I always back up everything I do with research so they can't dispute my words. I am careful.

I think it's important to use my skills as a writer for good. I think it's important to be involved in my community.

What do you do to make a difference in your community?

Remember what Edmund Burke said: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (or women) to do nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Sue - I sent this to Dad yesterday: http://www.fff.org/blog/jghblog2010-12-02.asp. Maybe the school system is simply working as intended?

    Believe me, the most positive trends in education today are occurring among the thousands of families who are opting out of that Soviet education system the government imposes on society. Why should it be any more susceptible to reform than the Post Office?

    ReplyDelete