Friday, February 4, 2011

WARM UPS

Off and running.

For any marathoner, the warm up is important. Runners stretch and do whatever is necessary before beginning the long jog.

Since I am a creature of habit my warm up begins at 5:00 in the morning. Whoa, that's crazy early, but important for coming up with those creative, "marathony" ideas.

First things first. I walk and feed the dogs.

Next comes coffee (caffeine -- nectar of the marathoning Gods) and with it, the newspaper.
In addition, I read from a book I have entitled, How To Write a Children's Picture Book, Volume I: Structure. It helps me keep focused.

Then the real warm up begins with mind stretches. Here's a  little trick I learned at my latest SCBWI conference: Open journal, pick up pencil and write ten titles - FAST - without thought. You would be amazed at what comes out. Sometimes gibberish, but other times a spark of inspiration.

Now, turn on the computer. Resist the urge...but as a creature of habit, I need to check e-mail.

7:00 and I'm still not in writing mode. Need to do one more warm up activity: WALKING. That's when the real work starts for me. I lace up my sneakers, pop in the ear buds, turn on my I-Pod and GO. My muse works best on that walk--tickling my ear, poking my brain and voila...ideas pour in.

I'm listening to a song by Air Supply called Lost in Love. Suddenly the word LOST pushes into the forefront of my thoughts.

Lost!!! Who? A boy, a girl, a dog? Where? In the forest, in the toy store, on a mountail trail. What happens? I have the problem. What's the solution.

Stop the music!!!! Turn on recorder and talk, talk, talk...

Now, I'm ready to write.

8:00 I'm home.

               And pumped.

                       Open Word. Type...type....type.

                                I'm on my way to another manuscript.

Puff

      Puff

           Puff...

Pant

      Pant

            Pant...

No comments:

Post a Comment