Monday, May 9, 2011

THE FINAL LAP

I just finished another manuscript. Woo-hoo!! A picture book manuscript...what a good feeling. Of course, it needs to be tweaked and critiqued until I feel it's ready to submit. But, it's done...beginning...middle and end (Oh, how I have trouble with endings!).

I find picture books the most difficult to pen when writing for children. I would rather write a 25,000 word MG story than a picture book. Why? One would think a picture book would be easy because it consists of very few words. And, that, my friend, is exactly why it is so difficult.

 Each one of those words needs to be perfect...exploding with meaning...placed just right in the story like flowers in a garden...and be able to tell the story in a visual way so that an illustrator needs only to pick up his paints and create.

Ah, the satisfaction of a finished story. Much thanks goes to my muse that is lurking somewhere in the recesses of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment