Sunday, May 15, 2011

THE GOOD, THE BAD...DEFINITELY NOT UGLY

Here in southwest Florida we do not have four seasons like the rest of the country. We have two - the wet season and the dry season.

During the dry season, we have an influx of people that are dubbed snowbirds. They flock from the north to enjoy our snow-free environment, full of warmth and sunshine. Oh, so good. Especially for me as a writer. I belong to a group of brilliant women that I would love to corral for the entire year, but alas, the bad...they are here just for the winter. We meet twice a month on a Wednesday afternoon in the condo of one of these women -- sitting at table, by a window with a panoramic view of the Gulf of Mexico -- reading our latest work. You would think that it doesn't get better than that, but it does. These women are former editors of newspapers, executives from ABC TV, Ph.D.'s that have written books...didn't I tell you they were brilliant. Not only are they smart and accomplished, but kind ... and ready to help novices like me!!!

It gets better. I have a SCBWI critique group full of --- what we call "year-rounders." Yep, we meet all year. And, again I am blessed with a group of bright, published children's writers...individuals in all stages of writing for children. Again, so many accomplished people ... kind and ready to help.

With all the craziness in this world, it is good go be associated with caring people.

And, speaking of caring people. I now have two people following my blog. So, Catherine...I guess you were right. Colored ink makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment