Saturday, May 21, 2011

LESSONS LEARNED

Why is it when I write a piece that I think is awesome, funny, a great story worthy of publication, it isn't even close?

Take for instance my latest story, HAUNTED TREASURES. Since I did so well on my first short story entitled, HIDDEN TREASURES, I decided that I could write an adult book full of short stories...the title would be, UNEXPECTED TREASURES. During my walk on the beach I came up with great ideas. Thank goodness I had a recorder with me so I could get these stupendous ideas down.

For the last few days I have been writing HAUNTED TREASURES. I've never written in first person, so I used this story for practice. When I finished, all I could say was, "Cool!" It was really, really good -- full of twist and turns, blood and supernatural happenings. WOW, I thought what a great to add to the potential book.

Then, I asked my husband (my biggest fan) to read it. "I just want to see if you get it," I told him.

Guess what! He didn't get it. In fact, he didn't even understand the ending -- the punch line -- my greatest accomplishment.

Hmm, lesson learned. When I think something is ready -- it needs a lot more work.

So, I decided to put this story aside for a while. I would leave it on the back burner, re-read it and hopefully I should be able to revise it so ... someone will "get it."

I've turned my sights to a poetry contest for Children's Writer. This ought to be good, since I don't know how to write poetry. But, gotta try.

I was fortunate to get a plethora of books from Writer's Digest. One contains two chapters on writing poetry for children. I read it.

My next step is a trip to the library and reading as much poetry as I can. Then I will read the two chapters again before I even put pen to paper.

I'm not sure I can do it, but, you know what...if I don't try I definitely will limit myself.

I find picture books a form of poetry. It I can master even a little bit of the rules that guide a poet, I should be a better picture book writer.

Here's to lessons learned...and learning more.

No comments:

Post a Comment