Monday, March 28, 2011

STUCK IN NEUTRAL

What do you do when your story is stuck in neutral--going nowhere? Or, in other words, has a case of the blahs.

My remedy for a declining story line is to stop writing--for the moment.

I pick up a writer's magazine and read...for inspiration...to realize other writer's go through the same process...and to find a way to help my character get back on track.

I read a book by my favorite author. It gives my creative side a rest. I jot down phrases that catch my fancy and get my muse excited.

I open my folder that contains action verbs, adjectives and other interesting words I've picked up through the years--I know it sounds weird, but just reading words...unconnected to sentences...helps me visualize a better story.

And, I walk the beach. I empty my mind, feel the wind on my face, smell the saltiness of the Gulf and listen to the many sounds of the birds that scatter as I pass by. It's refreshing, lovely, calming, relaxing...and perhaps I can lose a few pounds in the process.

So, when you reach a point in your story where you feel lost...what do you do to inspire your character...to discover a twist that will keep the reader reading? What do you do?

1 comment:

  1. This is what you do: Stick to your outline, write copy that can be edited later, stay focused, and (as James Buchanan said) keep your butt in the chair.

    ReplyDelete