Tuesday, October 5, 2010

SEDUCTION

He was a smooth talker. Telling me everything I wanted to hear. He caressed my ego, put stars in my eyes. He promised fame and fortune. Oh, he was good, but not good enough.

He had even changed his name from “self-publishing” to “publish on demand.” It sounded so good. For just a few dollars up front, my book would be published and distributed…to major stores like Books-A-Million or Barnes and Noble. All proceeds from sales would by mine.

Mine, mine, mine.

That small upfront investment would be back in my pocket in no time. Yes, his velvet voice almost lulled me into writing that check.

Did I succumb? Of course not. I knew he was coming. I knew what he wanted. And, I enjoyed listening to his pitch.

A friend of mine had just finished writing his life story. He wanted it published for his kids and grandkids…to know their roots, their family history. He found this reputable company and told me how impressed he was with them. He paid them for their expertise in editing and for X number of dollars he would receive X number of books. I decided look them up on the internet. In order to get into the website, I had to list my name, phone number and e-mail address. That’s what I call an “in your face” clue. I told my friend that I expected a call from them that week.

“Oh, no,” he said. “They won’t pursue you.”

He was right, they didn't pursue, they chased. I received three phone calls in one day and two e-mails. They wanted my money and they wanted it badly! Their powers of persuasion were masterful – but, little did they know I have no intention of self-publishing. It’s not for me.

I know my books are good. The writing is the easy part. The hard part is the marketing. Finding a publishing company that needs what I have is like trying to find the preverbal needle in the haystack. I subscribe to three writer’s publications. Each list agents and publishing companies presently open to submissions.

I attend SCBWI conferences and listen to the latest publishing buzz. I learn everything I can about the industry.

Then, I submit. And I wait.

And wait.

And wait.

For me the biggest problem is playing the waiting game. And, hoping that I have a match. Like finding a husband, someone who loves what I have written and will marry me – or at least my manuscript.

But, alas, I am still waiting. A writing spinster looking for my knight in shining armor.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment