Sunday, June 24, 2012

ONE STEP AT A TIME

I NEVER thought I'd consider self-publishing -- NEVER!

But after much soul searching, reading the pros and cons of it, and hearing from a friend that recently attended an SCBWI conference where she was told it may be the way to go...I contacted my first self-publishing company.

Why would I take this expensive step? Good question!

For years I've tried to get noticed by traditional publishing companies. I've attended workshops, entered contests, and sent my manuscripts to anyone and everyone who would accept them. Sometimes I get rejections -- par for the course. I have even received a contract from a leading children's magazine. Yea!!! But, most companies do not respond at all. So, there my manuscripts sit-- in someone's slush pile for heaven knows how long. While it's there I lose precious time waiting and waiting and waiting.

The bottom line for me, when it comes to self-publishing, is investing in myself and my manuscript. Do I have the confidence that it is good enough. That's the rub.

Writing is a lone, solo profession. Even though I belong to two critique groups, it is still up to me to make this very important decision. It's scary -- really, really scary.

I sent my manuscript into the company Friday and heard from the acquisition rep that the readers LOVED the first three chapters. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but will they love the entire book. We will see.

I don't have to make any decisions today. So, I am taking it one step at a time.

Step 1: Contact the company
Step 2: Send the manuscript
Step 3: ??????

Wish me luck. I have given this decision to a higher power...my God...with his guidance I will know what to do when Step 3 makes itself known.

No comments:

Post a Comment