Thursday, September 9, 2010

I Can Handle Rejection, I Raised Teenagers

Do you check your mailbox daily for that sought after letter of acceptance?

I always did until those rejections found their way to my door. But, hey, I can handle rejection, I raised teenagers.

So I have come up with a few tricks on how to handle the waiting game.

1. Once I mail a manuscript I put it out of my mind.

Of course, for me, it is like sending my children to college. I can't quite forget them--the children, that is,  or the manuscript. I make a note on the calendar when I should expect to hear from a specific publisher. Okay, okay when that date arrives I begin to obsess. But what writer isn't a little OCD.

2. I immediately begin working on my next book. Keeps the mind occupied and forward thinking.

3. I view each rejection as one step closer to acceptance. My neighbors can hear my cries of joy as I watch the mailman drive away. "Hey, I got a rejection. Another short-sighted publisher that missed my best seller."

This is my first try at a blog. I will try to write daily and post my musing in groups of three. See above. After all aren't we writers told the rule of three. I like rules. I like three. I like blogs.

But, for the life of me I am not sure if I have set this up correctly. But, like my manuscripts, I keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment