Tuesday, September 28, 2010

WORKING OVERTIME

When it comes to writing my brain never stops working.  Well almost never.

Yesterday I had a gem of an idea for a picture book. But, the idea wasn’t producing anything. I guess you could call it a diamond in the rough. I had a lump of coal – no diamond.

So I called on my brain to get busy.

I planted the seed deep in the recesses of my mind hoping something would sprout.

Did it?

Nope – not during the day. Perhaps my brain was too active doing other things like grocery shopping and trying to decide what to have for dinner. Or sitting with James Patterson’s latest evil villain and searching for his hideout.  (James Patterson books – one of my many guilty pleasures).

Okay, my brain was rebelling, so I went to the computer and researched everything I could find on the topic. That should stimulate the old gray matter.

Did it?

No. Geez, what’s up with that?

I gave up and went to bed. And that’s when my brain went to work. At 4:30 this morning my eyes popped open and there it was – not quite the diamond I had hoped for…but a direction in which to take the book.

Moral of the story: “It’ll shine when it shines.” (Whatever the heck that means).

No comments:

Post a Comment