Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Log Lines, Hooks and Other Torture Devices

I would rather drink buttermilk than create a log line. Listening to fingernails on a chalkboard is more desirable than crafting a hook. And a query – OMG, how hard can it be?

For me these are the torture devices of writing.

I subscribe to three writer’s magazines and read them cover to cover when they arrive. Oh, they are crammed full of good information. On my desk sits piles of enlightening articles about--“How to Write a Good Query." I’ve read them all – twice.

Yesterday my latest writer’s magazine arrived and hidden inside, on page 23, was a list of agents looking for writers!!!  Yea, pick me, pick me. But here’s the rub: I have to hook them with a good log line and a letter perfect query. Bring on the buttermilk.

Why is it I am able to write a manuscript of one hundred pages, but to put down in one sentence what it’s about is torture? I agonize for days. I write sentences to tantalize an editor. I write log lines that would make even the most seasoned agent run down the hallway screaming, “I found it. Move over New York Times Best Seller list.”

I let them sit for a day or two – then I re-read them – and hate them. I’m never satisfied. Where is that pesky muse when I need her?

Like me, she probably rummaging around the refrigerator looking for the buttermilk.

1 comment: