Monday, September 27, 2010

SPELL CHECK – FRIEND OR FOE

My computer – I can’t live without it. Remember manual typewriters? How about the electric ones? Dinosaurs!!!

My computer – my best friend.

No more dictionary – just right click – and “look up” any word.

No more thesaurus – yep – right click – and “synonyms” pops up.

And then there is my favorite – SPELL CHECK – gotta love it. I can type to my heart’s content not worried about carbon paper, ink erasers, white out or the bulky dictionary… that little red zigzag highlights my errors. Another right click and all the words I need are at my disposal. How cool is that!!!

Hold on a minute. What would my third grade teacher say??? No dictionary, no thesaurus…no white out...no way! 

I found every now and then, spell check throws me a curve. It lurks as close as my keyboard to steer me the wrong way. How about when I want to say your but I type you. Where’s my friend when I really need her.

As an example. Last week during I was gathered at Books-A-Million with my critique group – I was reading the latest chapter of my book, ON THE RUN. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw everyone furiously scribbling on my (perfect) manuscript. How dare they!!! When it was time for comments they all noticed something I didn’t…they all noticed something my spell check didn’t…I had typed the word it instead of if.

Arrgh, that drives me crazy. I knew the word was if – I read it as if - but on closer look, I saw it.

OMG – How could that happen!!!

My BFF let me down. Or, do I depend on her too much.

I wonder - is spell check my friend or foe??? Food for thought.

Oh, Mrs. Crandall (my third grade teacher) – I still use the dictionary and thesaurus!! Give me an A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment