Friday, September 10, 2010

Self Publishing – Is it the new wave of the future or like kissing your sister.

In my hometown newspaper the other day sat a big spread about a friend of mine who finally – after exhaustive hours on the computer – published his first book.

I admit that green eyed monster called envy wormed its way into my heart. “Dang, my books are as good as his,” I thought. Then I read the article:

He self-published the book. Hah! There you go – rejected by publishing companies and agencies– so he took the non-traditional route and published the book himself.

Is self-publishing the wave of the future -- a way for us struggling writers to become “authors?" Or, it is like kissing your sister – or in my case my brother?

In articles I have recently read, it has become a respectable alternative to getting one's book published. When working with major publishing companies one faces months between submission and rejection.  And if by some miracle acceptance finds its way into one's life, it takes months and possibly years to achieve actual publication. The services offered by these self-publishing companies are remarkable and the resulting product -- very professional.

In retrospect, my friend put his money where his faith is -- in himself and his book. To thine own self by true.
Congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment