Sunday, January 23, 2011

BAD WRITING -- GOOD ADVICE

Yesterday I attended my critique group with the suckiest manuscript ever!!! I knew it was bad but I didn't hesitate to hand it out and sit back as it was read.

Why would I give them my worst?

Because it was my absolute poorest writing? And, I needed their help.

After it was read everyone looked at me with that -- "You've got to be kidding!!!" look. And then they started to speak. Did they call it awful? No, of course, not. They didn't have to.

They each started to speak, in turn, asking me questions and giving suggestions. "Why did you do this?" or "Perhaps you should expand on that."

Did I go home and whine? No. It's not my style.

Instead I went home and opened a bottle of wine.

Today I awoke refreshed. (No hangover, I don't drink that much). I re-read that sucky chapter and started writing. And writing. And writing. In fact I re-wrote the entire chapter and it is 100% better than the original one.

My critique group is like a marriage. We are together for better or for worse. We help and encourage each other. We aren't afraid to speak up if something isn't working. What a blessing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment