Wednesday, January 26, 2011

THE MARATHON

Here we go again.

Tune up with Aretha:

R*E*J*E*C*T

Find out what it means to me...

R*E*J*E*C*T

Take Care, TCB (what the heck does TCB stand for anyway?)

Yep, you guessed it - another rejection.

Am I bummed out? Not really.

It's one of my picture book manuscripts. And, as I have said in a previous blah, blah, blog, I have difficulty writing this genre of children's literature.

What do I do now?

I am not sure if I should send it out to another publisher, re-write it, or just trash it. So, I'm going to let it sit and steep for a while. In the meantime I am going to practice, practice, practice. That's the way one is suppose to get to Carnegie Hall...or at least the publishing house next door.

How will I do this?

I'm entering the Picture Book Marathon.

Sharpen those pencils. Warm up those fingers. Find a clean page in the journal. Ready, set, go...

It starts in February. All one is required to do is write 26 picture books...one each day for 26 days in February.

Sounds easy, doesn't it? Au contere, my friend. Pictures books may have few words. The challenge is finding those perfect words.

I cheated a little. I started yesterday. Yes, in January. OMG, do you think they will throw me out of the race. I doubt it. I am doing my warm-ups. Just like one does when preparing for the Boston Marathon.

Wish me luck. Perhaps, just perhaps, one of my 26 will actually be good enough to jump into the editing, revision portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment