Thursday, January 6, 2011

CRITIQUE GROUPS - A HUMBLING EXPERIENCE

I attend two critique groups. One is made up of writers of children's books. The other is made up of various genres - people who are writing memoirs to share with their families, playwrights, Ph.D's up-dating books they once published, poets--even an actress from England is among us. It is a humbling experience -- so many voices --  all writing from the heart and head...using their pencils, pens, computers to retell, teach, relate experiences I can only imagine from words on a page.

I love listening to the others. I am transported into another time, involved in another life. Their stories are amazing--the places they have been--the adventures they have had...their triumphs, their sorrows...all documented for others.

The poets write deep, meaningful, spiritual poems. I don't often understand them, but I appreciate the lilt of the words.

I read my stories. I learn much from their constructive criticism, I gain confidence to continue from their encouraging words. It's funny how many little things I can overlook in a manuscript. Take yesterday, for instance. One of the women in my group pointed out how many times I used a particular word in one of my chapters. OMG, I never saw it. If not for a critique group - this error would have gone unchecked.

If you are a writer -- a serious writer trying to get published -- do you belong to a critique group? If not, it's well worth the time. It's a humbling experience, but the help you will receive is priceless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment