Friday, January 14, 2011

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

Today I leave for my writing conference. As I previously blah, blah, blogged, I'm not looking forward to it. Instead of coming back energized, I usually return home with a sort of melancholy aura.

Why is that? Well, I think it is because I had great expectations from other conferences and was disappointed. One thing I have learned in life is that expectations are really premeditated resentments.

I do, however, have moderate expectations of this conference. Why would I put out the big bucks to go? I expect to meet some nice people - and they don't get better than children's book writers and illustrators. I expect to learn something - that is the real reason I attend - to learn more about writing and the industry.

I enjoy watching people. I should be more aggressive when it comes to presenting myself (to editors, to agents), but I am  not an in-your-face type. There are many "iyf" people...they are the ones running around with a manuscript waving it in front of anyone who is interested, or the self-publishers who want you to look at their book.

I stay on the side lines. Maybe it's a safety thing. Maybe I don't want to look desperate. But, that's who I am.

So I prepare to go. And this time with expectations, but not too many.

Stay tuned and I will let you know how it goes on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment