Sunday, January 2, 2011

READING IS WRITING - RIGHT??

My, my, my - I keep getting further and further (or is it farther and farther?) behind in my blog writing. But, I've been reading lately. Reading is writing, right?

I read for a number of reasons.

1. Enjoyment.
2. To study the market.
3. To get ideas.
4. To "listen" to the lilt of words.
5. To see how other authors write - the qualities that make their books page turners.

I find reading a good way to kick start my brain when it is asleep and the words aren't pouring out like an afternoon rain. I like to sit with a pad and pencil and capture action verbs - why didn't I think of that one, I say to myself, when I come upon a particularly good phrase.

I even keep a book full of action verbs. Full of adjectives. Full of color words. I even read that book now and then.

                                                       * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Today I am totally frustrated. There is a contest I would like to enter. Easy - peasy. They want books written for kindergartners. My field. My love. My area of expertise. When I taught I could write a million books for my class. Guess what - today nothing is coming to mind. NOTHING. How crazy is that??

I've learned in life not for force things. So I wait. I wait for an idea, for a theme, for anything to get me started.

Until then I read. Reading is writing - right??

Happy New Year everyone. May this year be filled with wonder and love and good health for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment