Monday, January 31, 2011

FREE TO SPEAK?

Today's blah, blah, post is more for me than anyone who may trip upon my blog and read it.

I want to write a letter to the editor of my local newspaper regarding Religious Freedom Day, but can't quite come up with the right words. 

In a previous blog I mentioned RFD and wanted to write something then, but...what?...I wasn't sure of the approach I should use. Then, there was an editorial of today's Naples Daily News - see http://www.naplesnews.com/.

I know why the school system put on a day like this in spite of the "separation" issue. It stems from a lawsuit that they lost over distribution of bibles in the schools. But, for the life of me, I wonder how some organizations were able to participate.

My questions are these:

1. In the previous article reporting on RFD, the only organizations mention were a Muslim sect, PFLAG and the ACLU. Why weren't other organizations mentioned. Was it for the shock value. Christian and Jewish religions are not going to sell newspapers like the above mentioned? 

2. PFLAG and the ACLU are not religions. Why were they included?

3. Our school system thrives on publicity (good publicity), so why was the newspaper banned from this event.  This tells me something is amiss.

Will I write the letter to the editor. Most likely not. I will know I will say something "politically incorrect." God forbid, I offend someone.

To me political correctness stomps on our freedom of speech making a mockery of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment